USDA Housing

What are USDA properties?

Rural Rental Housing Loans are direct, competitive mortgage loans made to provide affordable rental housing for very low-, low-, and moderate-income families, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities.

Am I eligible?

Very low- and moderate-income families; elderly persons; and persons with disabilities are eligible to live in USDA Housing. Those living in substandard housing are given first priority. When rental assistance is used, top priority is given to very low-income households.

Where are USDA properties located?

USDA properties are located in most rural counties throughout Tennessee.  Per regulations, USDA rental properties cannot be located in metropolitan areas.  For a list of apartments in your area, contact your USDA office at (615) 783-1300.

What is the waiting list and application process?

Individual USDA rentals maintain waiting lists, and wait times vary depending on the building and the area. Individuals are screened by property ownership and management. Application processes can vary, but must meet minimum federal guidelines. Applicants must meet income and other eligibility requirements. During the application process, the complex will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. The complex will verify this information with other agencies, your employer, and bank, and will use the information to determine your eligibility and the amount of your housing assistance payment.  

USDA Housing PDF

Acknowledgements & Disclaimer: This Fact Sheet was prepared by West Tennessee Legal Services (WTLS) and made possible by Serving Tennessee Seniors-administered by The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee at the request of the Chancery Court. WTLS thanks the Tennessee Bar Association for its permission to use The Legal Handbook for Tennessee Seniors (2014 edition) as a primary information source. This publication is supported, in part, by funds provided by the Southwest Area Agency on Aging and Disability, the Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The content herein does not necessarily reflect the opinion or policy of the Southwest Area Agency on Aging and Disability or any agency of Tennessee or the U.S. government. Fact Sheets are for information only and not intended to replace legal advice. If you are in need of legal help, call WTLS at (800) 372-8346, or seek the help of a private attorney. (Revised 5/2017)