Intake Paralegal Position Announcement
West Tennessee Legal Services, Inc. (WTLS) has an immediate opening for an intake and outreach staff member in our Jackson, Tennessee office.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: WTLS represents clients in civil legal matters and works with community organizations and client groups. Candidates should have a strong commitment to access for equal justice for our low-income neighbors in West Tennessee who face overwhelming problems regarding basic rights to shelter security, income security, financial security, and freedom from abuse for which there is a legal solution.
Under the supervision of professional staff, this staff member interviews and pre-screens persons in need of WTLS services for potential SNAP eligibility. He/she gives contact information for Tennessee Department of Human Services when potentially eligible households are identified and speaks to and interacts with groups to provide information and materials about SNAP. Duties include recording of activities and maintaining electronic files and records of work activities to provide access to and retrieval of data.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Interviewing/intake on benefits clients
- Legal needs assessments on clients
- Ability to conduct food stamp/benefit screenings
- Gather pertinent information regarding each matter
- Maintain accurate and timely case notes
- Research, as needed
- Distribute community education materials
- Speaking engagements at health fairs, community agencies, etc.
- General office work, such as filing, answering phone, typing, etc.
- Maintain contemporaneous timekeeping
- Other duties as may reasonably be requested
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE: Below is the minimum level of education and/or experience needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and equivalent to one-year related experience and/or training equivalent to a Paralegal Certificate or Associate’s degree; or
- Paralegal Certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience; or
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience; and
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to competently use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe professional;
- Demonstrated experience working with the public;
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, computer, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a demanding workload;
- Ability to work collaboratively, both within WTLS and with community partners.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements of this position include the ability to:
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb stairs
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Lift up to 20 pounds
TRAVEL, WORK HOURS, SUPERVISION:
- Travel: This position routinely may require local travel, which requires a valid State of Tennessee driver’s license. It also may require travel across the State of Tennessee on a limited basis.
- Work Hours: This position’s typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., except for holidays. A one-hour lunch break must be taken some time between the hours of 11:30-2:00 every day. Work hours must be accurate and reported on a time sheet contemporaneously.
- Supervision: The intake staff member is under the supervision of the Intake Managing Attorney.
SALARY: DOE. Excellent Benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Send applications via email in Word or PDF format to Emma@wtls.org. Applicants must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references (with phone numbers). Applications will be accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. No inquiries accepted. Only applicants scheduled for interviews will be notified.